Monday, March 21, 2011

Tú eres mi gordita

Right now my favorite song is Gordita by Shakira. Yes this means little fat one. In Argentina this can be a term of endearment. In this country they are very honest and calling someone gordo (fat) or gordita is not uncommon. The professors have told us there is no such thing as PC here. I wonder if Americans are just too sensitive? 

So more pictures from my city explorations: 

I have decided this is my favorite type of architecture around the city.
La Boca - A neighborhood in Buenos Aires
The most bizarre graffiti I have ever seen.


So Thursday was el dia de san patricio (St. Patrick's Day). It was interesting to celebrate this holiday in a foreign country. We could not have gone to a more American bar. It was called Spot and even the bartender was from Boston. Rumor has it he gave free drinks to people wearing Celtics Jerseys. But the night ended tragically with the loss of my camera. I still have no idea where that thing is. 
 
On Wednesday I am going to Mendoza. We have no class Thursday or Friday because it is the Day of Remembrance for Truth and Justice. It's the anniversary of the coup d'etat (March 24, 1976) that overthrew the dictatorship. Side note: I have yet to see the mothers protest in the plaza de mayo. I hear they protest every Thursday. It is on my bucket list.

Mendoza is known for its wine vineyards...should be a great weekend!

1 comment: