Monday, March 14, 2011

vamos river plate!

Today is my first day of classes. I don't start until 1:30 on Mondays and Wednesdays, which is pretty cool. I am also somehow the only Spanish class that meets on Friday. It is hard to believe we are just starting class since Michigan is way past their spring break. I'm ready to have a little structure in my day.
This past week has been a great ending to orientation. We checked out more highlights around the city. A few favorites...
1. The Cemetery in Recoleta which includes the body of Eva Peron. While I was walking around in the cemetery these two guys heard my friends and I speaking English.  After talking for a little I found out they were two grad students from Michigan's business school. Even in Buenos Aires I manage to find a Michigan student...
   
The cemetery in Recoleta


    
Casa Rosada - The presidents home




  
El oblelisco
This last picture is an awesome view of the city from my friend Alana's apartment. 

So this weekend we checked out hip hop night at club lost. They played only American Rap Music. Besides Shakira, I feel like I always hear American music in the bars and bariloches. I also purchased Shakira's latest album Sale de Sol...definitely worth the $10.99 on itunes


Yesterday I went to San Telmo to browse the antique markets. It was a little more expensive than I expected, but it seemed to be a bit touristy. I bought a bag for $11 and a picture of a couple doing the tango in front of the home of la boca. 
Afterward I experienced my first south American soccer game - Go River plate! I still haven't figured out what a plate is.  Anyway it was so much fun to see how crazy people went for futbol. Alana and I want to learn all of the chants to prepare for next game. They lost 2-1 which was extremely disappointing. They had to let the opposing side leave the stadium first to prevent any fights.
Time to get ready for my first class! Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment