Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Shakira Shakira...Waka Waka


This weekend was carnival in Argentina aka no orientation classes Monday and Tuesday! On Saturday night I went to the Shakira concert.
The concert was on the other side of the city but it gave me an opportunity to explore a new neighborhood. 
She sang all of the songs in Spanish except Hips Don’t Lie. The concert was especially amazing when Lawrence let me sit on his shoulders to see the stage. Normally my height does not bother me, but at times I could not even see the video screen. 
Still I got to see Shakira in Buenos Aires. We decided she must work out for at least 3 hours a day to have abs like that.

The next day I went to mar del plata for the extended weekend. I have never seen a beach so crowded in my life. 
I decided not to go out that night because I desperately needed sleep. The previous three nights I only had 3-4 hours of sleep a night. I honestly do not understand how people keep up with this lifestyle. The next day it poured which was pretty unfortunate for a beach trip. We made the most of it and walked around the city. We cooked dinner at our hostel, which was delicious. After eating food like this I really just wanted a healthy salad.

My Spanish is definitely improving. I went to the grocery store and talked to the guy next to me for like 15 minutes. I have noticed once I am tired I kind of shut down and want to escape to my English cave. I have also found no one can pronounce my name. I think in the future I am just going to go by Maria.

We start actual classes next Monday. I am probably taking Spanish Grammar, Spanish Writing workshop, the Impact of Globalization in Latin America, and Modern Argentine History. I was disappointed because apparently I am not allowed to take the Tango class. It is exclusively for dance majors. I might try to take a local dance class. Our university offers a mini cooking course that I definitely plan on taking advantage of. We can also try out for the local field hockey team. I am definitely playing Frisbee here, but I might also check out the hockey scene.

I need to catch up on some much needed sleep. Last night we went to the bar Mr. Jones until 5 am and we had to wake up at 7 am to catch our bus. We will see how much longer I can maintain this lifestyle.

2 comments:

  1. I am pretty sure I am your only reader. You know have 2 comments....both from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You seem to have a lot of fun, that's awesome. Make the most of it, you can sleep later... ;-) I miss you

    ReplyDelete